How to Hire the Right Roofing Company
Making the Right Roofing Decisions
Hiring a Contract
Before selecting a roofing contractor, you should do the following:
• Plan your project from start to finish;
• Be specific in explaining exactly what you want;
• Be sure to approve any architectural plans that may be involved before the contract work begins;
• Compare costs before making a financial commitment;
• Discuss bids in detail with each contractor;
• Ask the contractor for local references and find out if he or she is a member of a professional remodelers association;
• Contact your Better Business Bureau to learn how long a contractor has been in business;
• Find out if a contractor is insured against claims covering workers compensation, property damage, and personal liability; and
• Check with state, county, or city housing authorities to be sure that a contractor meets all area licensing/bonding requirements.
Did you know that Roofing Contractors are ranked by the BBB (Better Business Bureau) as one of the top 10 businesses in the U.S & Canada.
All agreements should be put in writing to protect both the customer and contractor. The written contract should include the following:
• A thorough description of the work to be done, ie; material; color brand name, style;
• Agreed starting and finish dates;
• Total cost
• Payment terms;
• Any warranties and guarantees of workmanship;
• Method of debris and material removal upon job completion;
In addition, make sure the written contract includes:
• The contractor’s name
• Telephone number, email and/or fax number;
• Professional license number;
Things to Remember
• Never sign a blank contract,
• Make sure your read all clauses carefully and ask any questions you may have before signing.
• Retain a copy once it is signed, and file for your records.